Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Locked out

I (Amy) had an interesting experience yesterday. I was locked out of our house for about an hour until Mike came home for lunch. I was having a slow moving morning, as I am sure many of us have had, and was feeling pretty discouraged, so I decided to try going outside for a little while. Nathan and I had taken some of his cars out to the driveway to play with, and I had just come inside to get Wes and his bottle to feed him while we were outside. It was a few minutes later when we tried to come back in to warm up Wes' bottle that I discovered I had locked the door behind us. I tried to open it a few times, I guess thinking that maybe our circmstances would change. As I thought about it though, if ever I would be locked out, this was the best way to be- I had both boys and food for Wes, it was warm and sunny, and Mike would be home rather soon.
Nathan grew a little impatient with not being able to go inside. It is hard to explain that concept of locked out to a toddler. He tried knocking on the door and even barking to see if it would open up the door. I had some time outside to do some thinking. Here are a few thoughts I came up with...
1. It is amazing how when you can't do the things that you had not wanted to do when you had the chance to do them, you suddenly have the desire to do them.
2. Being locked out is a good description of how I am feeling right now about our life in Georgia. I feel like the door to Mike's job, our moving on with our lives, the chance to go to the next chapter of living- that all of those doors have been locked. Only this time I am not sure when they will be open. But just like yesterday, the situation could be so much worse.
3. I will always go out the front door to go outside. :) You have to have a key to lock it.

No comments: