Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Negotiations with a 4 year old

Yesterday, at dinner, we were talking to Nathan about earning extra money around the house. Amy had talked with him earlier about helping to pack boxes to earn money. He wants to buy some new Transformers (dare I say, real Transformers and not that "fake" ones he bought a few months ago) that are easier to transform and use. He has started getting an allowance and is learning to save/spend his money. He has impressed me before with his ability to think through and process a purchase (we've been trying to teach him about money issues for a little while now), but the following conversation caught Amy and I off guard.

Nathan: "Dad, I want to do things around the house to earn more money."
Me: "Ok, what do you want to try to do?"
Nathan: "Help pack boxes."
Me: "That sounds good, how much do you think you should get for packing up boxes?"
Nathan: "Mommy, how much do the Transformers cost?"
Amy: "$10"
Nathan: "$10"
Amy & Me: (laughing)

Leave it to a toddler to process what he needs and then try to make that much money. Both Amy and I are proud of how Nathan is learning to manage his money.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cutest story ever. I just want my toddler to talk. The reasoning can come later.